Sunday, July 31, 2011

Life, Death, and Progeria

I have been putting off writing this for a few days now, because to be honest I just don't know how. Maybe it's for fear of finally admitting all of it to myself, and making it more than thoughts in my head. Maybe it's because I think I'll shake it all off. But I am drowning in emotions and there has to be an outlet. Writing has to be my outlet.

About a month ago, Ryan and I took a trip to Florida to see his family. On the drive back, just when we were about to be home, the thought of death struck me and scared me to my core. I have no idea why, but I haven't been able to shake it since. What scared me so much was the thought of what occurs AFTER. Is there really a Heaven, a God? Am I living my life good enough to please any higher being? Am I just going to die one day, and never wake up? Am I going to cease to exist and my memory fade over years gone by? I don't know the answer to any single one of these questions, yet I cannot stop asking myself these questions every single day since that night. When I have time to myself during the day, I think about life and how it's too short. I think about how quickly a day passes. Then I think about death, decaying, and withering away. Death is taunting me. Life is taunting me. Which is it? I am so confused with all of this I could just scream. At least that was how it was up until a couple of nights ago. And then it's as if someone, somewhere, helped answer all of my questions in a way I had to piece together myself.

A couple of nights ago, my family, Ryan, and I were all sitting around the TV. A special about children with Progeria came on. It captured my attention from the get-go. I'd always been very intrigued and curious with the disease. For those that have no background knowledge, progeria is a disease that causes the body to age and deteriorate at a rapid speed. A 5 year old's body would be in the condition of an 80 year old. Yet their mindset would still be that of a 5 year old. The lifespan is not lengthy. It is a horrible and sad disease. This is the case for a small percent of children in the world, and 3 little girls who deeply touched my heart. On that screen, I saw three girls (two of them 6 years old, one of them 12) who had the biggest love for life that I have ever seen. Every day they are faced with challenges that you nor I could possibly conceive. These challenges are much larger than mine, much greater than yours. They stare death in the face every second that their heart is beating. Do you think they worry? Not one single bit. They don't waste a second - they spend their time loving large and smiling. I don't think I heard a single complaint leave any of their lips. They understand what a precious gift life is, and they utilize every tool for happiness they can manage. They look different from you and I, they develop differently. And do you know the biggest difference between these beautiful children with progeria, and you and I? I'll let you draw your own conclusion and answer that yourselves. For me, they opened my eyes and my heart. They spoke to me on such a deep level, and they answered all the questions I had.

I don't know what happens after we die. I don't know if there is a God, I don't know if there is Heaven. I want to believe there is something, but I can't know for sure. Nobody can know for sure until that time comes. I don't know if what I am going through is a curse or a blessing. I guess in actuality it could be seen as both. It is a curse. I think about death every single day. I think about ceasing to exist and everything that I love eventually disappearing off of this earth, perhaps forever. I think about there being no life whatsoever after this life on earth ends. And yes it is terrifying to me. I worry because the days I have are too short and every moment I live goes by far too fast. I get sick to my stomach at the thought of losing my life and the lives of those dear to me. However in contrast, it is a blessing. I am aware of how short this life on earth is. I am aware that a moment will pass you by so quickly you may not even realize it. I understand how precious one life is. I appreciate every second I am given, and I try not to waste any of my time. Life is a GIFT. It should not be wasted, it should be appreciated. Please, if you take anything from this blog, understand that you are so beautiful, so important, and your life is special. Try not to let those little moments pass you by. Put that gorgeous smile on your face and enjoy this life while you have it. You never know when it can disappear from beneath you.

I would love to hear from each of you that read this, somehow. I want to know your favorite things about the life you live: the big things, but the small things especially. What is it that gives you hope, gives you joy, gives you love and a sense of fulfillment? For me it's looking into the eyes of the man I love - and REALLY looking. For me it's a room filled with my family's laughter creating the most lovely sound I have ever heard. For me it's the sound the wind makes when it rustles the leaves of the crispy brown leaves in fall. It's a warm smile from a stranger. It's the crunchy sound the snow makes when you walk on it. It's the smell of Thanksgiving dinner coming from my grandma's kitchen, and the way we all come together as a big family and put aside all differences, and why can't this be every day? Why can't every day be full of joy and love? There will be hardships. There will be times when you feel like you have hit the bottom. But you are alive, and there is always joy to be had. Look a little bit deeper into this life you are living. Look a little bit deeper into those little things that make you smile. I could list things that make me smile all day. It's important that we don't ever FORGET any of these things. Cherish each other and the time you have.

If you took the time to read this, I want to sincerely thank you from the bottom of my heart. I hope that at least some of it will sink in and stick with you.

-Nastassia*


4 comments:

  1. I had those same thoughts about death the day that Parker told me he had found out the date he was deploying. At that point, the reality of him being in the military set in and I realized there was a chance something could happen to him over there.

    As for my favorite things in life, at 2:30am this morning I was reminded of the best thing I have in my life: a guy who thinks I look absolutely gorgeous with no makeup, hair sticking out in every direction...he didn't even mind when I fell asleep while we were skyping lol. It's the smile he always has the minute I answer his skype call, the way he looks at me when he says he loves me. It's also being in the stands at an Aggie football game with 80,000+ fans. It's a girls night out where we eat dinner and then somehow decide not to go anywhere and end up at someones apartment so we can watch the same Disney movies over and over. It's going on base to surprise my dad at work and having not only him, but the other officers in his office as well, get excited because I'm visiting him. It's Thanksgiving dinner, whether it's at my parents or my aunts house, where the whole family is there fighting over who gets the best seats at the table so they can watch the football game but the most joyful part of that day is having the airman over for dinner since they can't go home. They are always so grateful to have someone care about them.

    I could go on and on...there are so many thing that bring me joy and make life worth living every single day

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think about death quite a bit, ever since Riley was born. My biggest fear is that I will die while he is young and I won't be here to help him with all the stuff he will have to face as he gets older. But I also know that no matter how long, or short, my life is...it's about the quality with which I live it, and I try to remember that everyday.
    One of the best things is my life is when I know that the people I love are happy. It can be something totally simple, like Riley having a good day at school, or when I see one of your status updates talking about how much you love your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it's hard for a lot of us to think about life being such a gift. We hear of all of these tragedies and horrible things happening around us, and it makes it difficult to even care. I have a handicapped sister who can't walk, can't do the majority of the things we do, yet she is one of the most beautiful people I know. Sure she has a temper, makes me angry sometimes, but she approaches everything differently from me. I can't even begin to imagine my life without my legs. She lives it everyday. She has a son who she loves from the bottom of her heart. She does the best she can and that is it. She doesn't worry about failing. She just tries again. She really is a blessing to my family. She is just one of the many things in my life that I would never trade for anything. Along with the rest of my family.
    I also have an amazing man who loves me and never lets me forget it. He's my best friend. He's always there and he never makes me deal with a problem on my own. He makes me feel important and incredibly beautiful every single day of my life. I am very grateful for him.
    One of the best things about my life right now is you [Nastassia]. You are my best friend. I wouldn't appreciate life as much, or the love of my life, if you hadn't walked into my life. You are truly beautiful and if I had to choose between meeting tons of new friends in the future or keeping you alone as my best friend for the rest of my life, I'd pick you with no hesitation at all. I love you girl!
    I love waking up every morning. Knowing I have another chance to make everyone I meet smile. Having the opportunity to be a friend. Giving someone everything I've got to make sure they have the best life they can.
    I love everything about my life, even the obstacles. Everything. And, it's all thanks to you for the great eye opener. Who knew taking communications my freshmen year (when I strongly didn't want to) would lead me to you, my best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I very much appreciate all of your replies, and would love to fully elaborate on all of those responses but I don't know if you can make these comments that long, LOL :)

    ReplyDelete