Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Why fitness and health are so important to me

I was reading back on all of my old posts and thought "My god, I was so sad...and so naive." So I decided it was time to leave all those memories in the past where they belong and I deleted a ton of old blog posts. It wasn't easy at first to cut off all that weight, some of those posts had happy parts in them. But I think it's all best forgotten and time to focus on what's in front of me.

A lot has happened since my last blog entry in May. At the time that I wrote it, I was really inspired to make the necessary changes in my life. But three days after I posted that, my great grandpa passed away and it wrecked me and my whole world. The loss of my grandpa tore through me like a knife. I forgot all of the goals I had set for myself and fell into such a sadness I didn't think I would come out.

But I have emerged because I know my grandpa wouldn't want me to get lost in my sadness. I'm now engaged and planning my wedding with the most incredible man I have ever known. It was hard for me to be excited when Tyler proposed just two weeks after my grandpa's passing. All I wanted was to tell my grandpa his first great grandchild was getting married. I couldn't wait to see his face when he first saw me in my wedding dress. I just wanted him to be there. Knowing he won't be makes me want to curl up into a ball and cry uncontrollably...but I won't because that's not what he would have wanted. He would have wanted my happiness. He would have wanted me to push through all of life's difficulties and emerge on top. Well I am trying just for you, grandpa. Since his passing, I have really kicked my health into high gear like I have so long talked about. I am doing my best to eat right and exercise every single day. My grandpa's death really got me thinking about my health, as did my uncle's passing and my grandma's battle with cancer.

So now I'll get down to what the title of this blog is really all about.

It has hit me pretty hard that we won't always have our health, and we damn well better use our bodies while we can. One day you won't be able to do the same things your body can do now so don't take it for granted. I get so sick and tired of hearing people say "life is too short to watch what I eat" or "exercise isn't for me." Your life is going to be a hell of a lot shorter if you don't start making healthier choices. Most of my family members possess really bad lifestyle habits that I have watched take place most of my life. Many of those habits have had incredibly negative effects on their health and have caused some of them to lose their lives prematurely. I don't want to get into vivid examples or call any of my family members out on this blog because I don't want to upset anyone. But I will say that had they made healthier decisions, such as not smoking, drinking, or just being more active...some of them may still be alive, and some of them would have a better life right now.

Basically what I am saying is your body is going to deteriorate on its own and there WILL come a time when you won't be able to do the things you can do now. You won't be able to run. Maybe you won't be able to breathe or hear as easily. DON'T speed up the process by smoking, drinking, eating foods that are terrible for you and sitting on your ass. Put down the sugary foods and drinks and get the hell up off your couch and GET MOVING. Go for a walk. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables and drink water. You'll probably add years onto your life and chances are you won't have as many difficulties when you're up there in age if you just take care of yourself. We only get one shot at life, don't waste it.

With all that being said, I am so happy for change. I used to run from it and now I embrace it. It's time to keep the promises I have made to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment